Sunday, September 4, 2011

The" Help"

Miz Sophie is one my favorite all time cats.  I gaze into her eyes and imagine and wonder what she is thinking. She is an independent cat.  But comes to me once every evening to scratch her head.  Briefly.  And then she is gone.  To the guest bedroom. On the bed. That's her space where she likes to sleep.  I realized that once we moved into the house and keep a washable spread over my good guest bedroom comforter.  Just for Sophie.  Cause she likes it there.  And I love Sophie cat. According to Tom, to Sophie we are just "the Help".  You know the cats have servants thing.  Sophie does.  That's us.

And that leads me to the movie "The Help".  I had read the book and knew I had to see the movie.  Good movie,great acting and a jolt for those of us who went through the era of integration.  The movie made you laugh and made you cry.  But more than anything it made you think.   Or say, did I really think that way?    Most of us not to the extreme shown in the movie.  But most of us grew up with a certain amount of prejudice.  Around and about us, if not in us.  I was in highschool when our schools were integrated.    It improved our chorus and our football team.  And we made an effort to be sure that one of the black students were put on the student council.   The chorus director asked the black student if they objected to our annual minstrel show, which was done in blackface and with many "black" jokes.  They said they didn't object but then they didn't come or participate.  Had she really thought they would?  But it was cancelled the next year.   I remember  our very thoughtful and peaceful highschool integration as a fascinating, rather beautiful thing. But I can't remember ever having a conversation with a black student or inviting them to my house or to sit with me at lunch.  So I have to admit prejudice was within me.  Not hate. Not intentional. But prejudice was there. I grew up with it.  I think "The Help" does remind us of where we've been.  And in some cases how far we have to go.

I am feeling well.  Impatient for the open wound  healing to be finished but grateful that it is going well.  And continue to realize how fortunate I am for early detection and good doctors.  And for Tom's continuing care and caring and for all of my friends and family who are always there for me.  Life is good  and someday will also be normal!

 Love and hugs to all.

Sandy

5 comments:

lorena johnson said...

I will certainly see that movie although there is no movie house in town at the present. Have to go to Kokomo, or Marion to see it.
I grew up way before integration, but always had that feeling that we were wrong. When I presented that idea to my Uncle who raised me, he kicked me out of the house.
For 5 months I lived with my sister who was always on the road with her husband and baby and left almost nothing to eat in the house, so I had to scrounge for food and ways to get my clothes clean and go to school. It was my senior year, so it was pretty rough.
I could have gone back home if I apologized and admitted Black people were less than human, but I was stubborn and principled, so I toughed it out.
He finally caved about 3 months before school was out and by that time I had met my future husband and was married 3 weeks after graduation.
I was very happy about the integration, but it did not go as well in OKC. It was very hard for my children and still is not what it should be there.
I know I had a few predjudices, but it is something I always worked with. I hope that my children never have to see the ugliness of making the black people sit in the back of the bus, swim in separate pools in parks, drink out of different fountains and have to be off the streets at certain hours, or banned from certain communities like it was in OKC.
I am reminded of how bad it was by my friend who just died. Some of the tales he told me of his early childhood was so horrendous.
He was the patient I had while nursing in OKC that I used to go grocery shopping for after I left the nursing company he was with.
I miss him every day because in the face of all that hatred, he retained his ability to love people as the were and had a great sense of humor even though house bound.
Hope you continue to heal as fast as possible and God bless you and your dear husband.
Hey! Also God bless Sophie who is a pip! LOL!
Hugs,
Cami

sfeutz said...

Thanks Cami. You always have such a good comment to add to my ramblings. Hope all is well with you and yours. Hugs, Sandy

Anonymous said...

To Cami, I enjoyed reading your comment.

Sandy, We'll probably have to wait till the movie is on TV, but it sounds like it is very good. Could you let me know on FB what your new photo FB page is??

Sister Vel said...

Sandy, we talked about this on the phone; but I wanted to share with others. I'm afraid that those who NEED to see The Help, won't go. It is an amazing book, and I can't wait to see the movie. I remember integration when I was in the 5th grade. We were just kids and didn't have any idea that we were supposed to dislike the Black kids - in fact, they were very popular. I wondered then why these kids couldn't have been coming to school with us all along. Then a generation passed, and my daughter's best friend in kindergarten was a precious little Black girl. She came home with us for a playdate one day; as they were outside playing, the neighbor came to my door and said, "Keep that little N out of my yard!" Please world, let's judge people by the color of their hearts rather than the color of their skin.

lorena johnson said...

Amen Vel, Amen!