Sunday, August 28, 2011

Gratitude Is Easy Today

Some days gratitude is just easier to find than others.  Today I think I am being pounded with reasons to be thankful for that which surrounds me.   The TV is literally "flooded" (excuse the pun) with Hurricane Irene news and the aftermath for the millions of people effected by this huge storm.  No power, flooded streets, houses crushed by falling trees and lives lost.   I am sitting comfy, under air-conditioning with all the conveniences that I have so completely adapted to.

  I heard a lady this morning talk about the struggle to feed hungry children in a Mexican  border town.  The goal is for the children to be able to eat 1 meal a day.  Many of the mothers bringing children for food only have food for themselves to eat every third day. Children must pay a fee, plus for school supplies and uniforms to attend the public schools in Mexico. As a result, many poor children are unable to attend school and have any opportunity for a better life.  Poverty and violence is everywhere in that area.   I have a fridge full of fresh produce and my only eating decision today is what meat to take out of the freezer for dinner and when to start the fresh peach cobbler.  Plus my two most recent books that I have been reading are "Just Like Us" and  "Stones Into Schools"  both about humanity struggling for what most of us take for granted. 

 So I say "Thank you God" for my many blessings.  There could go I. . . And particularly this day, gratitude abounds for the life I have.

Sandy
P.S. Today left breast is just dandy!

1 comment:

lorena johnson said...

I really appreciated hearing this from you Sandy. We have so much for which to be grateful. It does behoove us to consider those less fortunate.
We take for granted that there are borders and only we have rights to a special plot of land.
What we fail to understand is we do not truly own the land. It is God's land.
So we sit and squabble over who can come and go while God's children are starving under our noses.
Your gratitude is a good sign. I hope I can keep that in mind for myself always.
Love you dear lady.
Hugs,
Lorena