Sunday, July 31, 2011

Life at "Club" Mayo

After surgery Thursday night my doctor told me to settle into a few days here at "Club" Mayo  for IV antibiotics and awaiting the growth of cultures.   As wound care has been much more difficult than with the previous surgery, I am glad that I am here for that. Hopefully it will be going easier by the time I head home, which I really hope is tomorrow.  I managed to get myself into real pajamas today and do a few laps in the halls, so that should mean I am about ready!  I won't gross you out with the details of the surgery and the wound care, but a lot of what was left  there after previous surgeries is  no longer. .a quick trip from a size C to a size A.  Guess there was a lot of  dead tissue to be removed.  Now everyone in unison please pray for healing!  I am real tired of this!  Now to the good part of the report!  The food is wonderful!  Steak, baked potato ,veggies,roll and apple pie ala mode for lunch!  And Tom came in with chocolates and ginger snaps from Trader Joes!  Eating well.  And the best hoapital bed ever!  All of the usual up and downs but it is like a sleep number that you can make it to the right softness, and ever so often it just shuffles itself a little.  I also found out today that there is a built in scale so they can keep track of your weight.  Plus music and TV controls.  Interesting.  Very different patient care culture here at the hospital than with the rest of Mayo.  Deep subject and maybe one for a later blog and after I contemplate the situation.  I know my expectations were high . . .So with gratitude for my improved condition and even more if they turn me loose tomorrow!  It wasn't the weekend we were planning. . but as always Tom was beside me to do what we had to do. .and keep me supplied with chocolates. . what a guy!   Love and hugs to all,  Sandy

3 comments:

Diana Guraedy said...

Relief & Thankfulness & Joy & Love!! As part of the Navajo Blessing Way says: May you walk in Beauty!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep your expectations high!!! You've got a lot going for you, a wonderful guy looking out for you and a gazillion friends cheering you on. And I would expect that you should continue receiving chocolate after you leave Mayo...put a bug in Tom's ear...

Laurel said...

Heal...heal...heal!