Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Purpose

Dear Friends, friends and family,

Statement of gratitude. . I am grateful for the life I have had, for the love of  my dear Tom, for  family and friends and for those around me who contribute so generously to the joy I find everyday. 

I plan on opening each post on this blog with a statement of gratitude.    I find that concentrating on gratitude is where I am finding a lot of strength. 

Which takes me to the purpose of this blog.  In the last few weeks, I have gone from being an extremely healthy 68 year old to being diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma, or breast cancer, in common language. The good news is that I have been told that it is early enough that it appears to be at a stage that is curable. After a month of tests and two biopsies I am going to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale for whatever further surgery is needed and a treatment path.  My appointment is March 18th and I will be able to post my progress here during that time and as I have chemo and other  treatments .  So a big part of doing this blog is to communicate with family and friends that are concerned and want to know how things are going. And another purpose is awareness. . a reminder to get those regular cancer screenings!  That test the guys have is even more uncomfortable than the one we ladies go through but It is so important for early detection!  And a third, and selfish reason is that it may be therapeutic for me as I go through the next months.  So this first post is just an explanation of the blog.  Hopefully future ones will be more informative , and hopefully even a little entertaining, on living with,and ridding my body of, the big C. 

I do apologize for the blog looking incomplete and some things being totally out of proportion.  I am working on it and it will get better.  I can say Tom is just so relieved that I did not name the blog "Sandy's Left Breast" as was my first inclination!

  Hugs and love  to any of my friends and family that stop by this blogspot.  Just because I am keeping you updated doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to talk to you on the phone when you have the time.  Thank you all for being there!

Sandy
(With the goal of being a cancer survivor!)

3 comments:

lorena johnson said...

I just sent you a reply to your message on FaceBook and then came here. I should have waited. I got the information right here on your blog that I asked for and am so grateful that it is an early stage.
Whew!
You had me so scared, I ran to tell Marjie and started crying only to come in here and find this much better news.
Love you dear heart.

Sister Vel said...

I didn't have a sister for so many years of my life. I've found out how wonderful it is to have a sister that I can tell any secret to; a sister that I can laugh with and cry over in privacy; a sister who truly is the kindest person I have ever known. God won't take you away from me. And then there is TOM - a man who so obviously adores you and loves having new adventures with you. God won't allow that fun to end! You're gonna kick ASS in Scottsdale!

Plautia said...

Sandy,

While I am sorry to hear of your cancer, I am so happy to see you already becoming a 'survivor'! I love the concept of this blog - gratitude... Something we should all think about every day of our lives.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I will be returning to this blog often to hear about your progress and to share the gratitude!

Love and hugs, Victoria