Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Road Ahead

After Saturday, Sunday and Monday of sight seeing and visiting with friends here in the Scottsdale area and Tom's family  in Tucson, this morning we are back to the task at hand.  I will probably bore you with the details, but somehow I need to put them in print.  Therapy here?  At 12:45 my pre-op procedure starts in radiology where they put a radioactive "seed" to guide the surgeon into my cancery body part and also inject dye to detect the desired lymph node.  I asked the nurse about the possibility of using a zannex that I had left over from my last such procedure for the seed implant and she said I wouldn't  need it,this is a very small needle, not like the last time. Whew. . At 2:30 I go to the lab for blood work and then at 3:15 for an ECG. I was thinking EKG, but they said ECG, so I will be there and see what happened.  I complete the day at 4:00 with a chest xray .   And as best I can determine, as the result of the first appointment, I may have a glow in the dark left breast!  I will have to check!  Wednesday I am to be at the Mayo Hospital, a few miles down the road from the Mayo Clinic for surgery.  I need to be there at 5:30 am, so we are definitely going to need a wake up call and be on the way at 4:30 AM.   In surgery they will do a lumpectomy, as best I can figure 4 small areas.  I have no lumps, but they are taking out two border areas of microscopic stuff left behind from my last surgery in Silver City, as well as,thankfully,removing  the two areas of suspicious calcification that were not detected by the Silver City surgeon.  And then also doing whatever they need to do with the lymph nodes. They will dismiss me from the hospital and I will be free to travel back to Silver City the next day(Thursday).  It will be good to be back home,  but I am grateful to all that is available to me in medical care here, for the distractions of the Phoenix Zoo and the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum for the days I was waiting for my pre-op day and surgery day, and of course for the kindness of all, definitely including the patience and attention of sweetheart hubby Tom.   Thanks  to all of you for listening.  More detail than I needed to give.  But morning therapy complete! Love and Hugs, Sandy

6 comments:

acoelke said...

Prayers and positive thoughts flowing your way. You are one strong lady! Love the bird pictures--can't wait to revisit the Desert Museum.

Laurel Rematore said...

Just catching up on your posts, Sandy, and sending healing thoughts to both you and Tom. I must say, I am enjoying your irreverent sense of humor! On your solemn advice, I swear I will not attempt to bag a boobie. :-D

Sister Vel said...

A glow-in-the-dark boobie?? How is it YOU get to have all the fun? Seriously, your day sounds packed with poking and probing. You'll need a good dinner and a glass of wine this evening after all you're going through today. You will be on my mind all day tomorrow until I get some word that the procedure is over and you're all bound up and bra-less again.

lorena johnson said...

Not much left to be said Sandy that the other ladies haven't already said.
I loved reading the post. Nothing boring about it at all. It sort of helps put my mind at ease to see how good you are being cared for.
Love you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Karen Bittleston said...

At least one of your headlights will be working again!!! Good news all the way around I would say. They're giving you the once over and that's what it's all about. You'll be as good as new before you know it. But here's the thing; you now have me obsessing about boobs. First they're too small, then they're too big, then you start growing things in them and the final insult is when you start growing things on them. Maybe that's why I run around braless 24/7!!!!

Love ya,
KB

Unknown said...

Prayers from Sacramento!