Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dolly Parton Would Be Proud!

Well, I knew from the start that this breast cancer path wouldn't all be smooth sailing.  In the last 36 or so hours my 2/3 size hopefully now cancerless  left breast had grown to somewhere between 4/3 and huge and leaving me in great pain last night. I would guess the result of the skin outside being smaller than the inflation going on inside. Last night,after making it tolerable with ice packs and Tylenol, I called the post op contact number at Mayo Clinic and got through to the doctor on call.  After talking to me about symptoms, she decided that it was fluid buildup in the cavity left by the  part of my breast  that had been removed.  If needed, drainage via a big needle is the solution.  And I was not pleased to hear that some need to have this done twice after surgery.  She suggested alternating ice and a heating pad.   That seemed to help and I continued  to use that treatment(sounding better than the big needle option) and managed to doze every now and then cuddled up to the heating pad.  So, swelling is down a little this morning and with Tylenol not having much  pain.  I am hoping it stays that way till I can talk with the surgeon tomorrow and see if he feels he needs me to come to his office in Scottsdale or have it dealt with here.  If any of you cancer survivors or nurses that are reading my blog have experience with this condition I would be interested in hearing from you.   If any of you guys, and I know there are a few, that are reading my blog posts are grossed out with the descriptive nature of my post. . .I apologize!  You can get even and tell me about one of those "male only" surgeries sometime!    Gratitude is easy this morning. . for being where I have such good medical care available to me, both in Silver City and a 1/2 days drive away at Mayo. . .gratitude for Tom who is rolling  with the punches and adjusting our life when needed to get me through the bad days and to enjoy the good ones.. .for each of you that are going through this with me in spirit. .    Love and Hugs to all. . Sandy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not grossed out AT all. I'm just glad you continue to share with us! Take care, hugs!